Tuesday, October 29, 2013

#edtechchat with Arne Duncan - my thoughts

On October 28th, 1401 people from around the world got together to talk about being a connected educator.

On October 28th, 1401 people from around the world got together to to share ideas and resources on being a connected educators.

On October 28th, 1401 people from around the world got together and gave educators a voice!


I am a big fan of weekly Twitter chats. I participate in three chats a week - #edtechchat on Monday, #patue, on Tuesday, and #MSedchat on Thursday. I am able to connect with other educators from all over the US and collaborate on ideas and resources that will benefit the educators and students in my school district. I am able to connect with people who are smarter than me and grow professionally!

Last night's #edtechchat Twitter chat was amazing. My Twitter feed was moving so far that I could hardly keep up. What was even more amazing was the chat itself. For one hour, 1401 people came together to talk about being a connected educator. They came together to share their ideas and learn from each other. Yes, there were some negative tweets, but we did not let those tweets take away from the purpose of the Twitter chat.

Last night's Twitter chat reminded me of a really good PLC meeting. A group of educators coming together and talking about what is best for students. The negative comments don't take over the meeting, because all of the participates are there for one purpose - do what is best for students.

I encourage you to check out last night's #edtechchat Twitter chat archive. Be warned though, its over 100 pages long!  It should be though with over 8500 tweets!

I also encourage you to reflect on the questions that were asked and discussed last night.  Reflect on these questions personally and use these questions at your next meeting.

What does it mean to be a connected educator?
Why do you think it's important for educators to become connected?
What barriers exist that prevent you or your colleagues from becoming connected?
How has being connected helped you become a more effective educator?
Fill in the blank: Being a connected educator means _________.

0 comments:

Post a Comment